I actually remember a lot of things. But the exercise given by Ms. Cat was one of the most unique ones I've ever done. I remember her talking about it and I remember myself doing the exercise, and I remember writing about the exercise back then as well. And I wrote a lot of other things in there as well. But I often thought to myself while writing the exercise ... I wouldn't be able to just WRITE without thinking about something. It felt to me that there are two different things going on ... one is remembering about something, and one is thinking about something. For me, I need to have both of them going on at the same time in order to write it down.
For example, I have a recollection of watching a hockey game on TV, but I wouldn't be able to write about it unless I actually thought about the game and what was happening in it. Given that I can remember watching it, I would still need to think about the game and pause for at least three or four seconds before I started writing about it. However, as I went on, I could sense myself thinking about another memory before I finished writing about the current one. I don't know if anyone finds any bit of sense in what I just said, but yeah. I'm not saying the exercise was bad - it was actually pretty awesome. I would not mind doing it again in the near future. I am sure I would remember writing it the first time.
Sahil
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
yup, memories creep up on top of one another, the trick is to not get bogged down in any one memory, unless it's really where you want to go. This is something you learn in meditation as well. There is a difference between remembering and thinking about. In this exercise it would be best to remember and record what you remember and then move on. For example, you remembered the hockey game. when you say you remembered the game a particular vision or aspect popped into your mind, for example the ref. dropping the puck at face off. Record that "the man in the striped shirt dropped the black rubber puck and it all began" but that might move to "i looked him straight in the eye and said "go ahead, I don't really care", which might be a conversation you had with your brother just before the hockey game began. But you don't need to make sense of it (yet) you know the ref. memory was from the Leafs vs. Habs game and the conversation was one with your brother, but your readers don't need to know all that. And for your journal it just matters that you get it down and then you can pick a piece out of the mess and make something from it. Does any of this make sense? It's that inside/outside thing again.
Post a Comment