Saturday, November 22, 2008

One of them Rants

So, I'm sure I'm not the only one curious about The Wire, the show Ms. Cat is ... immersed in currently. I don't know what others have done to satisfy their curiosity, but I decided to check the show out. I couldn't find a working version online, so I set out to look for it elsewhere. and since I'm not quite 18 yet (I will be soon, just wait), and I couldn't rent it from the store, I turned to the magical world of downloading from teh intranet.

To my surprise, I found it, sitting there waiting to be downloaded, yet again. It then hit me, there is WAY too many things available on the internet. I mean, you have an urge to watch or play or read or listen to something, and BAM, it's there, waiting to be clicked on. Just to clarify, I'm not going against this idea ... I love the stuff posted on the internet, and I download like an addicted lil kid, but it's amazing to see all of the things on the internet, and it's not even ... a hard copy, or "real". Over the years, I've amassed about 80-90 Indian movies (90% are DVDs, which are pretty darn big in size (about 4.35GB each)), about 40-50 English movies, 6 GB worth of Indian music, 3 GB of English music, and countless other TV Shows, Cartoons and Misc. Almost all of it is downloaded, day and night.

Anywahoo, back to The Wire. While browsing through the different ... options I had for download, I noticed a comment saying something along the lines of ... "Good Copy, but download at your own risk, you may get a notification from your ISP (Internet Service Provided - Bell/Rogers) about downloading the show" and another that read "Yeah, HBO and FOX keep a close tab on who downloads their TV Shows." And so, I wondered again, how the hell do they have the time and leisure to track down each and every Jack and Jill and sent them a notification? And then it occurred to me ... that it's possible that person was from the HBO/FOX/Other Companies, trying to prevent people from downloading and stopping the piracy and etc from flowing so abundantly. I know I'm not that hardcore of a downloader, and even then, I used to average out to approx. 170GB of download/upload every month. Now it's about 30-40GB ... stupid Bell people restricting me and my download.

And so yeah. I downloaded the first season, I hope to begin watching it sometime tonight, or tomnorrow. And hopefully I should have an initial review/response about it.

Sahil

2 comments:

Alex said...

In terms of the Indian movies that you download, 4.35 GB each is quite huge. I have full High Definition movies that are less than that, like Casino Royale. I suppose the movies are incredibly long, with helps explain the length. Also, the file size depends on the format used (.wmv, .mp4, etc.), so which format are the movies in?

Ruby said...

My cousin just bought the seasons for the Wire. I should check them out.